Bilgiler

Üyelik tarihi: 02.10.2006
Yaş: 33
Mesajlar: 338
Memleket: KAHRAMANMARAŞ
Cinsiyet:

Fikirler Tecrübe Puanı: 51
İtibar Puanı: 317
Esma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üye

Ettiği Teşekkür: 485
159 Mesajına 299 Kere Teşekkür Edlidi

Standart Bilingualism and Ethnicity

These are some (only a tiny bit ) of the foundings that I have gathered while completing an essay on Bilingualism and Ethnicity.

First of all, here are some definitions of the term Bilingualism.

Bloomfield (1993) in Ekmekci (2007) suggests that bilingualism means "a native-like control of two languages", Diebold (1961) in Ekmekci (2007), on the other hand, defines bilingualism as the ability to use or comprehend more than one language.

Baker (1993) states that bilinguals and multilinguals are normally found in groups, such groups may be located in a particular region (fore example, Catalans in Spain), or may be scattered across communities (for example, Chinese in the US).

Here is a statement made by Roosevelt US President;

Roosevelt (1917) (quoted in Gonzalez 1979 in Baker 1993);
It would be not merely a misfortune but a crime to perpetuate differences of language in this country.. We should provide for every immigrant by day schools for the young, and night schools for the adults, the chance to learn English; and if after say five years he has not learned English, he should be sent back to the land from whence he came.

Another US President (Reagan) has stated nearly the same things;

Reagan in 1980s quoted;
Absolutely wrong and against American concepts to have a bilingual education program that is now openly, admittedly dedicated to preserving their native language and never getting them adequate in English so they can go out into the job market and participate. (Crawford 1989 in Baker 1993)

These ideologies clearly show how bilingual or people from "different" ethnic minorty groups treated and looked at!!!

Turkey

Minority Languages Spoken in Turkey- Retrieved from Wikipedia (2007)

This table identifies the vast number of minor languages spoken in Turkey. Even though this is the case, how many schools in Turkey support these languages? How "free" are they to speak their own mother language? What restrictions do they come across?

Through primary research I was able to find out some information;

Person A had described an incident he had come across. He stated that, a place was being built to teach Kurdish to local residents, children and to people who wanted to learn the language. Before the place was opened to public, the building was examined by the government and was found that the entrance door was 2cm lower than their expectations, therefore the building was shut down and the project was unable to begin ???!!!

These are just some of the findings. I wanted to point out the importance of bilingualism and the inequalities that ethnic minorities face. There are many areas that need to be looked at; Education, Health, Politics and the Economy or even just the way of life. Being bilingual is an extremely honourable thing to have only if assimilation does not take place to "overcome" the mother language.

___________________İMZA___________________
~Hayat~
Esma Ã?evrimdıÅ?ı   Alıntı ile Cevapla
Esma Kullanıcısına bu mesajı için teşekkür eden üyeler:
hakikat (15.06.2007)
Alt 15.06.2007, 19:46   #2
Yazar
hakikat
Forumla Bütünleşmiş

hakikat - ait Kullanıcı Resmi (Avatar)

Bilgiler

Üyelik tarihi: 22.10.2006
Bulunduğu yer: Eskişehir
Mesajlar: 2.636
Memleket: KÜTAHYA
Cinsiyet:

Fikirler Tecrübe Puanı: 85
İtibar Puanı: 1418
hakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı varhakikat görkemli bir forum yaşantısı var

Ettiği Teşekkür: 2.337
1.297 Mesajına 3.190 Kere Teşekkür Edlidi
Standart

Everytime Turkiye is the most beautiful than other country. these beauties are our differenses. but we can not realize these beauties.

one of them is bilingualism like you say.

if we can see these beauties, everything will be better than now.

thanx for your writing.

hakikat Ã?evrimdıÅ?ı   Alıntı ile Cevapla
hakikat Kullanıcısına bu mesajı için teşekkür eden üyeler:
Esma (16.06.2007)
Alt 16.06.2007, 02:34   #3
Yazar
Esma
~Hayat~

Esma - ait Kullanıcı Resmi (Avatar)

Bilgiler

Cinsiyet:

Esma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üyeEsma sevilen bir üye

Standart

Every country is beautiful in its own way...

And yes we do have to realise and accept these facts in order to live in a "better world" where we tolerate and respect each other...

~Hayat~
Esma Kullanıcısına bu mesajı için teşekkür eden üyeler:
hakikat (16.06.2007)
Alt 30.10.2007, 03:38   #4
Yazar
Esma
~Hayat~

Esma - ait Kullanıcı Resmi (Avatar)

Bilgiler

Cinsiyet:

Standart

The text above was part of my 6 page essay.

While surfing the net I came across a website (another Alevi forum) where someone copied (Copy + Paste) the exact text, even the bit where I wrote "These are some (only a tiny bit ) of the foundings that I have gathered...")

I hope it was useful for them... but as they did not give a reference to where they got it from, and that I did not want to become a member of their website... I wanted to let Aleviweb members know..

Guess its a normal thing for them, because they did the same with my other English topics and they are probably doing the same with other peoples topics/writings...

So dont think I did copy and paste...

~Hayat~
Alt 25.09.2008, 13:31   #5
Yazar
prometheuss
rock’n roll

prometheuss - ait Kullanıcı Resmi (Avatar)

Bilgiler

Üyelik tarihi: 28.08.2008
Bulunduğu yer: ankara,bitlis!!
Yaş: 35
Mesajlar: 73
Memleket: ÇORUM
Cinsiyet:

Fikirler Tecrübe Puanı: 0
İtibar Puanı: -2
prometheuss geçmişte onaylanmayan yazıları olmuş

Ettiği Teşekkür: 37
11 Mesajına 12 Kere Teşekkür Edlidi
Standart

[quote=Esma;129414]The text above was part of my 6 page essay.

sure it is clear that it is essay like homework)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 'you can take the horse to the water but you cannot make it drink!!'

anılar düştü peşine!!!
prometheuss Ã?evrimdıÅ?ı   Alıntı ile Cevapla
Cevapla

Etiketler
Yok

Konuyu Toplam 1 Üye okuyor. (0 Kayıtlı üye ve 1 Misafir)

Seçenekler Arama
Stil

Yetkileriniz
Konu Acma Yetkiniz Var
Mesaj Yazma Yetkiniz Var
Eklenti Yükleme Yetkiniz Yok
Mesajınızı Değiştirme Yetkiniz Yok

BB code is Açık
Smileler Açık
[IMG] Kodları Açık
HTML-Kodu Kapalı
Hizli Erisim

Tüm Zamanlar GMT +3 Olarak Ayarlanmış. Şuanki Zaman: 05:19.